Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said on Thursday that he was “unprepared” to answer a question about a recent attack by Hamas on a UN school in Gaza.
Yaalon, who has been accused of not responding sufficiently to attacks on civilians, had earlier told the BBC that he would be prepared to answer any questions, but added that he could not “give an answer to all questions.”
Yaalon has been at odds with the UN over attacks on the school, which was being used as a shelter for children after Israeli forces carried out a ground invasion.
In a statement on Thursday, UNRWA, the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, condemned the attack and said the school had been the “most vulnerable site in Gaza during the war.”
The UNRPA, meanwhile, condemned “any form of attacks on UN-run schools, facilities, or civilian infrastructure.”
The school was attacked on June 6, and a total of 26 people were killed.
Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack, saying the school was used by “terrorists” to carry out “attacks against Israel.”
Israel, which has the backing of the United States and other countries, has said that Hamas’ attack on the UN school was carried out by a terrorist organization.
The UN Security Council is expected to vote on a resolution Wednesday that would condemn the attack as a “flagrant violation” of international law.
Yaelman, a staunch Israeli ally, said that the attack was not aimed at any particular group, but at Palestinian civilians who were sheltering at the school.
“It’s an attack against the civilians,” he told Israel’s Channel 2 news.
“Hamas is a terrorist group, and it’s an organization that attacks Israel.”
Palestinian leaders have accused Israel of failing to punish the attacks, which have continued unabated despite the ceasefire and the recent cessation of hostilities.
The Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, has called for the Israeli military to “step up” in punishing the assailants, who were not named.