Sydney woman’s death ‘incredibly tragic’

A Sydney woman who went missing in a remote area of Australia is to be remembered for her compassion, bravery and determination.

The 35-year-old mother-of-one was last seen by a relative on June 20, 2018.

The mother-in-law told police her daughter had gone to a friend’s house to get some groceries and she had not returned.

The friend was concerned for the mother-and-daughter pair’s welfare.

But after an intense search, police say the mother of three was found dead in a creek in the Northern Territory.

The family said the woman had been drinking heavily and had not been seen since the night she disappeared.

The Northern Territory Police Service said the death was extremely tragic and that a post-mortem examination was to be held to determine the cause of death.

The NT Police Service is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death.

Detective Superintendent Mike Tapp said Ms MacLennan had not appeared intoxicated or disoriented during her disappearance.

“We have spoken to her family, and they’ve been supportive of the police investigation and will continue to be so,” he said.

“I think they’ve all felt that the best thing to do is to come forward and give their account, and I think we’re going to get a fuller picture of what happened that night.”

Ms Maclennan’s parents have previously described her as “a loving, caring, selfless, kind, hardworking, caring woman”.

“We had the best daughter and the best mother and grandmother in the world, and we just lost them that night,” Ms MacLeod said.

Ms MacLaNna’s body was discovered in a shallow creek in July 2018.

She was described as Caucasian, between 5ft 6in (1.84m) and 5ft 8in (150cm) tall, with dark hair.

Her body had extensive injuries, including bruising on the neck, shoulder, back and arm.

Ms McLaNana was a “dedicated mum, strong worker, generous person, dedicated and caring person”, her family said.

She loved her children and was a proud mother of five.

“She was loved by everyone,” her sister, Michelle MacLeod, said.

Detective Sergeant Mark Hickey, of the NT Police, said the mother had been on the run for several weeks and was last heard from in June 2018.

“At that time she was in an area where there was a lot of potential witnesses, and there was no one in that area at the time,” he told reporters.

“So she was seen to be very, very cautious, very, extremely cautious.”

Detective Sergeant Hickey said Ms McLeod was last known to have been seen with her son, who had been away at university.

Police said Ms Hickey would not speculate on whether her daughter may have been kidnapped or taken by someone.

Police have not released the circumstances of her death.

Ms Haney said she did not believe the mother’s death was suspicious.

“There’s no evidence to suggest that she was abducted, or that she had been murdered, and that would be quite a stretch, certainly,” she said.

Mr Tapp also said the NT police were “working hard to determine whether the disappearance was a crime”.

“If that’s the case, we’ll do our best to piece together the circumstances that led to that person’s death,” he added.

“If we have any new information, we’d like to get that to you as soon as possible.”

The family have set up a Facebook page to raise awareness of the case and provide updates.

The page, ‘Find The Mother’, has more than 17,000 followers. ABC/AAP